Turkish court says YouTube block should continue

Photo: Turkish court says YouTube block should continue / Turkey

A Turkish court on Friday night ruled that YouTube should continue to be blocked, overturning a previous decision ending the blockage on the grounds that the popular video sharing site still hosted legally questionable content, Anadolu agency reported.

Earlier on Friday, a court in Ankara had lifted the block, but the decision was appealed by the public prosecutor's office on the grounds that YouTube had not removed weblinks hosting allegedly illegal content.

After its evaluation of the appeal, the court annulled its earlier decision and ruled on the continuation of the block until the legally questionable content is removed from the website.

On March 27, Turkey's telecoms authority announced an "administrative" block on YouTube after a leaked security meeting of high-ranking officials appeared on the site.

On Thursday, Turkey lifted a separate block on microblogging site Twitter following an order from Turkey's Constitutional Court.

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency