Huge fire rages famous market in Yangon
A huge fire raged a famous market in Myanmar's biggest city of Yangon Monday morning.
The fire, which occurred at the fourth storey of the Mingalazay market in Mingala Taungnyunt township, started at about 8:30 a.m., over an hour before the market opened for business, eyewitnesses said, Xinhua reported.
The Fire Department is increasing its fire engines to 40 in its efforts to put out the fire which is still burning and not yet under control.
Some sources said the fire started at a restaurant in the market, while others said it was due to electric short-circuit with a book stall.
Eyewitnesses said there were people injured and some fainted out of smoke. But no death has been reported so far.
There are a few hundred of big and small trading stalls doing business in the market.