Azerbaijan to create customs body in Alat free economic zone
Baku, Azerbaijan, Feb. 26
By Anvar Mammadov – Trend:
A responsible customs body may be created in the free economic zone (FEZ) in Alat district, Azerbaijan, a bill “On the free economic zone in Alat” presented for discussion in Azerbaijan’s National Assembly said.
According to the bill, the State Customs Committee (SCC) of Azerbaijan must establish a responsible customs body to implement customs procedures in the FEZ. In its activity, the responsible customs body will rely upon the FEZ legislation, international experience and standards and strategic goals of the FEZ.
The bill noted that the goods and services imported to the FEZ will be exempted from the customs fees and taxes. If the goods are imported to the FEZ from Azerbaijan, or exported from the FEZ to Azerbaijan they are subjected to Azerbaijan’s legislation.
According to the bill, the responsible body adopts internal regulations, covering the customs requirements, and ensures regulation of goods and services imported to the FEZ and exported from it.
The rules have to mention the following:
- Order and requirements for declaration and labeling of goods and services imported to the FEZ and exported from it;
- Procedures and regulations for declaration of the goods and services;
- Regulations for joint activities of the FEZ customs body and the SCC, aimed to ensuring the simple and efficient customs registration;
- Payment for documents and services that can be used in the customs sphere;
- Regulation for use of services of customs agents and brokers;
- Other affairs aimed to the achievement of strategic goals of the FEZ.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev signed a decree on March 17, 2016, on measures to create a Free Trade Zone type special economic area covering the territory of the Baku International Sea Trade Port in the Alat township of Baku’s Garadagh district.