Sulfur deposits from Tengiz field to be eliminated to 2016: minister
Kazakhstan, Astana, Feb. 24 / Trend , K.Arinova /
Sulphur deposits in Atyraus province in west in Kazakhstan, which appeared as a result of developing Tengiz oil and gas field, will be eliminated in 2016, Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Sauat Mynbaev said as a reply to MP Aytkul Samakova's inquiry.
"Three years ago Tengizshevroil produced over 8 million tons of sulphur. This figure still remains unchanged," Samakova said.
MP said that the Environment Protection Ministry asked Tengizshevroyl to develop sulphur three years ago.
Tengizchevroil convert it into pellets and sold. Then it hit 200 tons of sulfur. And to this Currently, these 200 tons do not increase one kilogram. Sulfur is in the open air. After the rain it penetrates deeply into the ground and falls into the water. The soil and water is contaminated, Samakova said.
Mynbaev said that Tengizchevroil sold 2.3 million tons of sulfur last year.
Currently Tengizchevroil produces 14-15 million tons of crude oil per year. The volume of its production will increase to 24 million tons.
"Nevertheless, in these circumstances Tengizchevroil decides to eliminate the deposits of sulfur by 2017, while the government insists on 2014. The final term is 2016 [...]", said Mynbaev.
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at: [email protected]