Iran needs new methods, software access in oil exploration

Oil&Gas Materials 3 March 2019 12:24 (UTC +04:00)

Tehran, Iran, March 3


Exploration process in Iran’s oil industry needs to be supported both financially and legally, former managing director of the Exploration Department at the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) Seyed Mahmoud Mohaddes told Trend.

He pointed out that great and valuable achievements have been reached in exploration, which contribute to the development of the whole oil industry and the country’s economic development.

Citing to the necessity of ensuring access to software and new global methods in exploration process, Mohaddes said that the exploration is the major part of the whole oil industry.

“Therefore, promotion of technical knowledge in exploration should be prioritized, which can be achieved through the purchase of software, joint studies with foreign companies and trainings,” he said.

Mohammad Mohaddes is one of the top advisors of Dana Energy Company in Iran.

The National Iranian Oil Company has signed a deal with Zarubezhneft to develop two oilfields, Aban and Paydar-e Gharb, in Iran.

The 10-year agreement is aimed at boosting the production at the fields to 48,000 barrels per day from current 36,000 bpd. The fields are expected to produce a total of 67 million barrels of oil over the 10 years.

Zarubezhneft has an 80 percent share in the deal and its Iranian partner, Dana Energy, owns the remaining 20 percent.

However, in November 2018, the Russian state-owned oil producer Zarubezhneft pulled out of projects in Iran because of looming US sanctions.

Mohaddes said that Dana Energy is still working in those two oilfields, but he did not mention the faith of the rest 80 percent share of the Russian company in the deal.