Authorities investigate 63 people in northern China for alleged coal mine blast cover-up
Chinese state television says authorities are investigating 63 people suspected of being involved in the cover-up of a coal mine blast in northern China that killed 35 people, AP reported.
CCTV said Sunday 25 local government officials were among those being placed "under control" by a State Council team investigating the July 14 accident in Yuxian county of Hebei province which had been covered up for nearly three months.
Peng Jianxun, deputy head of the State Administration of Coal Mine Safety, told CCTV in an interview the investigation has showed that a number of officials from the township and county were involved in the cover-up.
The station said in its midday bulletin Sunday that the head of the county and the leader of the county's Communist Party branch have been sacked.