Hamburg down Zurich, Bayern earn draw in Aberdeen

Other News Materials 15 February 2008 02:33 (UTC +04:00)

( dpa )- German duo Bayern Munich and SV Hamburg Thursday put themselves in good positions to advance to the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich twice came from behind to draw 2-2 with Scottish side Aberdeen while Hamburg were 3-1 winners at FC Zurich in first-leg matches of the tournament's knock-out stage.

Goals from Miroslav Klose and Hamit Altintop put Bayern into a strong position for the return leg of the Round of 32 encounter in Munich next week.

However the four-time European champions were made to fight all the way by a spirited Aberdeen side depleted by injuries.

"It's quite normal that when you play internationally a team like Aberdeen can play above themselves. A 2-2 draw away from home in Europe used to be like a victory," Bayern coach Ottmar Hitzfeld said.

Aberdeen were hoping to repeat a quarter-final win over the Bundesliga leaders 25 years ago on their way to lifting the Cup Winners' Cup.

They took a surprise lead in the 24th minute when Josh Walker rifled in a shot from more than 20 metres.

Bayern had already missed chances, but Klose made no mistake with a shot on the turn into the roof of the net five minutes later.

Aberdeen went back in front when Sone Aluko beat Michael Rensing - in goal for the flu-ridden Oliver Kahn - with a low shot from inside the area three minutes before half-time.

Bayern again levelled after a Ze Roberto cross struck Alan Maybury on the arm and Spanish referee Eduardo Iturralde Gonzalez awarded a penalty.

Altintop's 54th-minute penalty shot was parried by Jamie Langfield but the Turkey international followed up to make sure at the second chance.

In Zurich, a first-half goal by David Jarolim and second-half strikes from Ivica Olic and Piotr Trochowski put SV Hamburg on the road to a comfortable victory.

Hamburg lost Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart who limped off with an ankle injury in the 33rd minute to be replaced by Jose Guerrero.

The Peru striker then set up the opening two goals in the 33rd and 67th minutes and earned the foul which led to Trochowski scoring with a direct free-kick in the 77th.

Zurich notched a consolation three minutes from time when a shot by Andres Vasquez was fumbled onto the inside of the post by keeper Frank Rost and Irish referee Alan Kelly ruled the ball crossed the line.