Azerbaijan, Baku, Nov. 30 / Trend E.Ismayilov /
There are more than 1.000 multi-family buildings in Baku, the bathrooms of which are not suitable for the use of gas water heating devices, the Azeriqaz production association of SOCAR (State Oil Company of Azerbaijan) told Trend.
According to Azeriqaz, inadaptability of bathrooms in apartments for the use of gas columns often causes carbon monoxide poisoning. The reason is the lack of special chimney in the bathrooms, leaving the citizens connecting flues with venting system and shafts which leads to accumulation of carbon monoxide in apartments and poisoning.
"This problem is very crucial. Inadaptability of bathrooms to the use of gas water heating devices in many apartments that previously were heated by central heating and received hot water, leads to carbon monoxide poisoning," the production association reported.
According to Azeriqaz, the problem mostly occurs in old apartment buildings, as combi system is used in modern apartments, in which the water heater is usually installed in the balcony.
The Azeriqaz said its workers carry out inspection in consumers' homes on a regular basis, conduct systematic work to inform the public, despite that carbon monoxide poisoning cases are frequent, especially in winter.
"Our employees held unscheduled inspections in apartments of consumers," the production association noted.
Use of electric water heating devices is the safest in apartments without a chimney system. But due to high costs of electric water heating, the majority of consumers use gas columns, Azeriqaz said.
Several cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are detected daily.