Polls open in Egyptian run-off with boycott from opposition blocs
Polls opened Sunday in Egypt's run-off election for still undecided parliamentary seats, with the country's main opposition blocs boycotting, charging that the first round was rife with fraud, dpa reported.
Over half of the lower house of parliament, nearly 290 seats out of 508 spots, is still up for grabs in the second-round, in which some 42 million people are eligible to vote.
Ten additional seats in the People's Assembly are appointed by President Hosny Mubarak, who heads the ruling National Democratic Party (NDP).
The NDP won over 95 per cent of seats settled in the first round last Sunday, in an expected victory.
The Muslim Brotherhood, the country's main opposition group, said it would boycott the run-off, after failing to secure a single seat in the first round. The group won 88 seats in the lower house in 2005.
The Islamists and other opposition groups said there was voter intimidation and ballot stuffing last week, in an election that saw a very low voter-turnout.
The second round is set to feature mostly candidates from the NDP, some facing off against each other, and independents.
Polling stations in most of the country opened at 8 am (0600 GMT) and were expected to close at 7 pm (1900 GMT).