Promoters Sue David Copperfield for Pulling Out of Shows
(foxnews.com) - Promoters sued David Copperfield for nearly $2.2 million for pulling out of 48 shows after a woman claimed the magician raped her.
The breach-of-contract suit was filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court. It names Copperfield, his company and one of his attorneys, Albert Rettig.
Calls to Rettig and to Copperfield's representative seeking comment were not returned Wednesday.
Copperfield came under investigation last month after a 21-year-old woman told authorities he raped her in July at his estate in the Bahamas. An attorney for the magician has denied the allegations, and no charges have been filed.
The new lawsuit claims Copperfield backed out of a deal to give 10 performances in the United Arab Emirates and 38 shows in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore this fall because he didn't want to face questions from reporters.
An attorney for Copperfield said last month that the shows were canceled because tour operators in Asia defaulted on their contracts.
The lawsuit was filed by California-based Viva Art International Ltd. and Maz Concerts Inc. of Ontario. They claim they gave Copperfield about $2.2 million to cover his costs before he canceled the shows.