Launch of Azerbaijani low-orbit sounding satellite scheduled for 2015
Azerbaijan, Baku, Jan. 15 / Trend, H. Valiyev /
The launch of an Azerbaijani low-orbit sounding satellite is scheduled for 2015, Azerbaijani Communications and IT Minister Ali Abbasov said at a meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers today chaired by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev dedicated to the results socio-economic development in 2012 and the country's upcoming challenges.
The minister said the launch of a second telecommunication satellite into orbit is scheduled for 2016.
Currently, the construction of the first telecommunication satellite has been completed. It is expected to be launched into orbit in early February.
The American company Orbital manufactured the satellite which weighs 3.2 tons. French Arianspace will launch it into orbit.
Some 20% of the satellite's resources will be used for Azerbaijan's needs, and the remaining 80% will be commercialized.
At present, preliminary contracts on 40% of the satellite's resource implementation have been signed.
Construction operations of a primary and backup satellite control center have been completed within a satellite program. The centers will be used to control not only Azerbaijani satellites, but the satellites of other countries as well.
It will be possible to receive and process images obtained from other foreign satellites in real time starting in September.
Some 30 Azerbaijani specialists attended the courses and satellite control training in the U.S., France and Malaysia over the past three years.