Jordan's Lower House on Sunday rejected assault against media personnel during a protest on Friday, calling for an investigation into the attack, Xinhua reported.
"We support empowering media personnel to play their role professionally and objectively and we do not accept assault against media people and we call for holding those responsible accountable," the lower house said in a statement on Sunday.
Earlier on Sunday, dozens of journalists and activists held a sit-in in Jordan in protest of alleged police assault against several media personnel in a demonstration over the weekend, as Jordan Press Association said it will file a lawsuit against the police department in the country.
On Friday, scores of journalists were beaten up by policemen, according to eyewitnesses, who said many of the journalists suffered bruises and fractures. The demonstration, which was organized by youth groups, called for faster reforms and uprooting corruption.
Abdullah Abu Rumman, state minister for media affairs and communications, expressed regret on Friday over the incident during which 17 policemen were injured, including two who were stabbed as they were trying to end clashes between the pro and anti-government demonstrators.
The incident, which also caused light to medium injuries to a number of journalists, happened accidentally, and the government rejects any attack on them, said Abu Rumman.