A British soldier and four civilians have died after being wounded in a suicide attack in Kabul, NATO and British forces said Tuesday, a day after the blast killed three Afghans outright.
A suicide attacker slammed a car bomb into a patrol of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on a busy road in the capital on Monday. The insurgent Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing, the AFP reported.
"It is with deep regret that we must announce that a soldier from 16 Signal Regiment has died and two more from the same regiment were wounded in a suicide attack on a vehicle patrol in Kabul," the British Ministry of Defence said.
"The three British soldiers were evacuated to a military hospital where one of them sadly died from his wounds," it said.
ISAF said in a statement that one of its soldiers and four civilians had died from wounds after the bomb attack.
The 40-nation force does not release the nationalities of its casualties, leaving this to the victims' home nation.
"In addition, two ISAF soldiers and eight civilians were wounded in this suicide attack that targeted an ISAF convoy," it said.
Police and military sources had initially reported the deaths of three civilians, with 15 people injured.
The soldier's death brings to 115 the number of British forces personnel to have died in Afghanistan since the start of operations in October 2001, according to a Ministry of Defence toll.
So far this year 158 international soldiers have died in the country, most of them in attacks.
Monday's blast was the second of the day in the Afghan capital. Earlier that day, a police officer was killed and two others were injured in a roadside bomb explosion on the southeastern outskirts of the city.
Two foreign soldiers -- a Canadian and a Latvian -- were killed in other incidents Monday already announced by their countries.
The Taliban were in government between 1996 and 2001 and are waging an insurgency against the new Western-backed administration of President Hamid Karzai.