Five men convicted in plot to kill US soldiers
Five men were convicted Monday of planning an attack on a US military base in New Jersey and could face life in prison, authorities said, dpa reported.
Three brothers - Shain, Eljvir and Dritan Duka - and two other defendants Mohamed Shnewer and Serder Tatar plotted an assault on the Fort Dix base in New Jersey.
US authorities had been monitoring the group for months and they were arrested in May 2007 after police informants sold them the machine guns they planned to use for the attack.
They were convicted of conspiracy to kill US soldiers but acquitted of attempted murder by a jury in a federal court in Camden, New Jersey, said Gregory Reinert, spokesman for the US attorney's office in the state.
The five, four Jordanian-born and one Turkish immigrant - could still face life in prison. Sentencing will be in April.