10 NATO troops killed in Afghanistan
The US-led alliance has issued new figures on its losses in Afghanistan, saying that at least ten of its soldiers have been killed in separate incidents, Press TV reported.
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said that five of the soldiers died in a bomb explosion in eastern Afghanistan on Monday.
ISAF says one soldier died as a result of small arms fire in the east and another was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) in the south.
Earlier, NATO said in a statement that at least three of its troops were killed in shootings and bomb attacks in the south, where US-led forces have lost several grounds to the Taliban militants over the past months.
The exact location of the incidents and the nationality of the dead soldiers were not revealed.
The latest deaths bring the number of NATO troops killed in Afghanistan so far this year to 245.
NATO currently has about 130,000 soldiers in the troubled country. The US has plans to deploy 30,000 additional troops there by August.
Last year was the deadliest year for US-led troops in Afghanistan. A total of 520 foreign soldiers died in the country in 2009.
The US-led invasion was launched with the official objective of curbing militancy and bringing peace and stability to the war-ravaged country.
After nine years, the US-led forces have yet to bring security to Afghanistan.