Head of CATEL JSC: CATEL CDMA Most Developed Network in Azerbaijan
Trend exclusive interview with Sadig Humbatov, Director General of CATEL JSC
- 2006 is coming to an end. How could you estimate the activity of CATEL in this year? Are you satisfied with the successes and implemented projects?
- Serious changes occurred in Azerbaijan IT market this year. We are happy to note that today we have one of the most developed CDMA networks in the country. In the nearest future, we are going to cover 70-80% of the territory of Azerbaijan with our network. Up to date technologies and new services have concentrated in Baku and around it. That gives a possibility to achieve a new level in developing new businesses both in the capital and in the regions.
- How much did your Company invested in the telecommunication sphere of the country and how much are you going to invest in 2007? What will be your priorities?
- CATEL JSC is one of the largest investors in the telecommunication sector of Azerbaijan economy. The total volume of investments made by the Company in the development of the network in 2006 will reach $100 mln.. $25 mln. out of them will be directed to the extension of the network. The investment policy of the Company in 2007 will remain unchanged.
- Has the Company fixed the priorities of its activity in 2007? Are you going to present new services to your subscribers?
- We shall keep on expanding CDMA network in the next year. At the same time, we have plans to develop commutations, and to introducing new services. We will invest in SMS installation, as well as mobile and multimedia portals and other means considered for subscribers of CDMA network. We are about to complete the construction of the micro-wave equipment on the border with Russia in the north and on the border with Iran in the south.
- How many subscribers CATEL has today?
- Today, the Company has 22.000 subscribers. 8.000 out of them are subscribers for CDMA network. Our Company is about to start its marketing strategy which will result in an increase of general subscribers, including CDMA users.
- Does CATEL have any plans on changing its tariffs?
- Our tariffs on CDMA-standard mobile communication services are cheaper than those of the existing mobile communication provider by 30 percent. The tariff on the other services has been reduced to minimum. We will continue our work in this direction in the future. Traditionally, we will hold a tariff reduction campaign on some of our services on the threshold of the New Year.