A German man has confessed to shooting dead two Italians after a football row earlier this week, media reported Friday, dpa reported.
The 42-year-old man apparently remembered little about the events early Monday, when he allegedly shot the two Italians in the head after arguing over which country had won more World Cup titles.
The double murder took place in an all-night bar in the northern German city of Hanover. The man then fled to the Spanish island of Mallorca, where his step-father persuaded him to turn himself in to the police.
The online edition of German-speaking newspaper Mallorca-Zeitung reported that the man, who is waiting for extradition to Germany, had confessed to the crime but remembered little. He said he was drunk at the time, according to Spanish media.
The man suffered from depression and was at danger of committing suicide, a spokeswoman for the Spanish judiciary said. He is now thought to be in a Madrid prison, before being returned to face trial in Germany.
One Italian man, aged 47, died soon after he was shot. The other, a 49-year-old pizza chef, died of his wounds hours later.