Obama condemns deadly attack on Iranian mosque
US President Barack Obama strongly condemned the "outrageous terrorist attacks" on a mosque in southeastern Iran that killed at least 27 people, dpa reported.
"The murder of innocent civilians in their place of worship is an intolerable offence, and those who carried it out must be held accountable," Obama said in a statement released by the White House Friday.
"The United States stands with the families and loved ones of those killed and injured, and with the Iranian people, in the face of this injustice," Obama said.
Two bombs went off in the suicide attack at the mosque in Zahedan Thursday night. Authorities said an additional 167 people were injured and warned the death toll could rise.
The radical Sunni group, Jundollah, meaning Soldiers of God, claimed responsibility for the bombings as retaliation for the execution last month of its leader Abdolmalik Rigi.