(IRNA) - German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said Monday that it is 'unavoidable' that Iran's nuclear dossier will be discussed in the UN Security Council, but stressed that the EU offer for talks with Iran remain open, reports Trend.
Speaking at a press conference in Luxembourg following a EU-Turkey ministerial troika this evening, Steinmeier said EU Foreign Policy Chief Javier Solana's 'efforts have not been crowned with success so far so that we can get back to negotiations with Iran'.
"Then it would be unavoidable for the Security Council to resume its discussions," he said.
"We have stuck to the line agreed by the 6 foreign ministers (five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council plus Germany) with Javier Solana in London saying that there will be discussions in the Security Council probably with a resolution and we are trying at the first stage to reach agreement on sanctions."
"But" he continued, "We still have this offer of talks to Iran." "We are always prepared to resume those negotiations with Iran," said the German foreign minister.
EU officials and Turkish foreign minister Abdullah Gul also discussed Iran during their meeting.
"We established a position today with Turkey. I don't think there was any difference in our assessment (on Iran)," said Steinmeier.
He said EU foreign ministers will have a thorough discussion on Iran on Tuesday.
Germany will take over the six-month rotating EU Presidency from Finland on 1 January 2007.
The press conference was carried live by the EU TV agency, Europe by Satellite (EBS), from Luxembourg and monitored by IRNA in Brussels.