DPRK rejects six-party talks but says open to new dialogue
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) reiterated its stance of refusing to resume the six-party talks on Monday, saying there was another "specific and reserved form of dialogue" to address the situation, the official KCNA news agency reported, according to Xinhua.
"There is a specific and reserved form of dialogue that can address the current situation," a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
But the unnamed spokesman didn't elaborate the "specific and reserved form of dialogue."
The spokesman said the DPRK "knew what should be done to resolve the problem far better than anyone else."
He said the six-party talks, which had grouped China, Russia, the DPRK, the United States, Japan and South Korea to deal with the nuclear issue on the Korean Peninsula since 2003, were "consequently reduced to a platform for blocking even the DPRK's development of science and technology for peaceful purposes and curbing the normal progress of its economy," after a UN reaction to its satellite launch in early April.
He also blamed the six-party talks for deteriorating to a platform for "other parties" to "seek their ulterior aims to disarm and incapacitate the DPRK so that it can only subsist on the bread crumbs thrown away by them."
The spokesman also accused the call for resuming the six-party talks of "bringing pressure on the DPRK" by some countries.
After the DPRK test-fired a satellite in early April, the UN Security Council issued a presidential statement, accusing it of violating UN resolutions. In a response, the DPRK withdrew from the talks and conducted its second nuclear test on May 25.
The DPRK officials have said at different occasions that the six-party talks had been dead, while the DPRK not objecting direct dialogue with the U.S..