Reports that US military aid to Egypt to end are wrong
Reports that the United States would end all military aid to Egypt are false, the US State Department said Wednesday, dpa reported.
President Barack Obama made clear before the UN General Assembly last month that the assistance would continue, a spokeswoman said, adding that the US would announced "in the coming days" the future of its aid to Egypt.
Earlier Wednesday, media reports quoting unidentified US officials said the US government planned to announce reductions in significant parts of US non-essential military aid to Egypt. The move followed a recent surge in political violence in Egypt after the military ousted democratically elected Islamist president Mohammed Morsi in July.
Several types of military hardware would not be delivered to the Egyptian military as a result, The New York Times reported. The newspaper quoted officials as saying this equipment included tanks, helicopters and fighter jets.
The goal of the decision is to prevent the delivery of military hardware that the Egyptian military could use against protesters, the reports said.
The Obama administration requested 1.5 billion dollars in total assistance for Egypt in 2014, nearly all of it in military aid, news reports said.
The US decided in July not to go ahead with the delivery of four F-16 fighter jets to Egypt because of unrest in the country.
EU foreign ministers agreed in August to suspend the delivery of any equipment to Egypt that could be used against protesters.