Syrian rebels reject regime claims of gains in Aleppo
Syrian rebels on Wednesday rebuffed the government's claims of having gained the upper hand in fighting for control of the northern commercial city of Aleppo, dpa reported.
State television had reported that troops had forced "terrorists" to flee the commercial hub.
Aleppo-based Free Syrian Army commander, Abu Omar al-Halabi, however told dpa by phone: "I can tell you our rebels are now controlling more than half of Aleppo and soon they will take over all of it."
Fighting was taking place in Salaheddine and nearby al-Shaar and Hananou, he said.
"Our fighters managed to control some streets near Salaheddine which were taken over by the (Syrian President Bashar) al-Assad's forces last week," al-Halabi said.
Across the border in northern Lebanon that has seen a spill-over of Syria-related violence, an easy calm prevailed.
Seven people have been killed and around 100 wounded in the port city of Tripoli in clashes between supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad since Monday. Nine soldiers were among the injured, the Lebanese army said