New Zealand struggling for survival

Other News Materials 8 June 2008 02:24 (UTC +04:00)

New Zealand were struggling for survival at the close of the third day of the third and final test against England on Saturday after they were asked to follow on.

At the close, New Zealand were 177 for five in their second innings, still trailing by 64 runs.

Wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum, playing as a batsman because of a back injury, ensured the match went into a fourth day with a punchy 71, while Daniel Flynn was out for a gritty test best 49 in fading light.

England, after drawing at Lord's and winning at Old Trafford, need only to avoid defeat to win the series.

The Kiwis resumed their first innings on 96 for six in reply to England's 364 but added only 27 runs after play were delayed until the afternoon session because of rain and bad light.

ames Anderson finished with seven for 43 from 21.3 overs, the best figures of his first class career.

New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori was caught at first slip by Andrew Strauss off Ryan Sidebottom for seven, before Stuart 0 Broad claimed two wickets in his only over of the morning on his home ground

Broad, watched by his father and former England batsman Chris, first had Kyle Mills (1) caught by Kevin Pietersen at head height in the gully with his third ball and then two deliveries later bowled Iain O'Brien (0) with a perfect out-swinger.

Fittingly, Anderson completed the rout when he trapped wicketkeeper Gareth Hopkins lbw for 15.

England captain Michael Vaughan immediately enforced the follow-on and Aaron Redmond's dreadful series continue when he was caught behind off Broad for two. He had managed 54 runs in six innings.

First innings top-scorer Jamie How was caught at third slip by Alastair Cook off Ryan Sidebottom for 19.. Ross Taylor played across a straight ball from Broad and was adjudged lbw for 14.

McCullum was dropped by Sidebottom off his own bowling when on 33 though it was a difficult chance at head height. He later responded by striking Sidebottom for three consecutive fours to register his fifty before he was eventually bowled off an inside edge by Anderson.

Flynn battled bravely for 152 minutes, banishing the memory of Old Trafford when he was hit in the mouth by an Anderson bouncer that forced him to have dental surgery. He edged Sidebottom to wicketkeeper Tim Ambrose minutes from the close, Reuters reported.