Militants have launched a fresh attack on military personnel in Mali’s lawless northern desert region, killing four soldiers, Press TV reported.
A statement by the armed forces posted on social media on Sunday said the attack that took place earlier in the day in Menaka targeted soldiers and national guard members.
It said the attacker was “destroyed” as he was trying to detonate his explosives near the army and guard post.
“Unfortunately during this operation, four armed forces personnel lost their lives,” the statement added.
President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita deplored the attack which left a high civilian death toll.
“All of Mali was in mourning, all of Mali is appalled,” said Keita while visiting the region instead of attending a planned regional summit.