Iran vows to pursue Beirut embassy bombing

Photo: Iran vows to pursue Beirut embassy bombing / Iran

Iran says the death of al-Qaeda-linked Saudi terrorist Majed al-Majed will not derail Tehran's probe into the November bombing that targeted the Islamic Republic's embassy in Beirut, Press TV reported.

"[Majed's death] will not shake Iran's resolve to follow up on the terrorist attack outside the Islamic Republic of Iran's Embassy in Beirut through legal and international channels," said Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham on Saturday.

Tehran, which has borne the brunt of the bombing, reserves the right to push ahead with its call for the masterminds and perpetrators behind the terrorist attack to be indentified and punished, said the spokeswoman.

She called on Lebanese officials to put serious effort into bringing all the perpetrators to justice.

She also urged the international community to devise a legal mechanism to indentify and punish all terrorists as well as their sponsors, and called on all governments to work together closely to eliminate the scourge of terrorism.

On Saturday, the Lebanese army said Majed had died in a military hospital in Beirut while receiving medical treatment for kidney failure.

The Saudi national, whose identity was confirmed by DNA testing, was the commander of the Abdullah Azzam Brigades and had been on Riyadh's most wanted list since 2009.

The group is an al-Qaeda offshoot that operates throughout the Middle East and is responsible for the twin bomb attacks that targeted the Iranian Embassy in the Lebanese capital on November 19.

The blasts killed 25 people and injured more than 150. Iran's Cultural Attaché to Beirut Hojjatoleslam Ebrahim Ansari and the wife of another Iranian diplomat were among those killed.

On Saturday, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdullahian urged Lebanese officials to investigate the circumstances surrounding Majed's death.

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency

 
MOST READ