Search on for two missing US soldiers in Afghanistan
NATO-led forces were searching for two US soldiers who went missing in a central province near Kabul, a local official said Sunday, dpa reported.
NATO planes and helicopters were searching Patanag area in Charkh, a district in central province of Logar on Sunday, where the soldiers disappeared, provincial spokesman Din Mohammad Darwish said.
"Due to insecurity in the area, the search is so far only conducted by the air," he said.
He said the US military has offered a reward of 20,000 dollars through local radio stations for any information leading to the soldiers' whereabouts or their safe release.
A Taliban spokesman on Saturday claimed that their fighters had captured the two soldiers and were holding them prisoner.
NATO officials were not available Sunday to comment. The military said on Saturday that the two soldiers had left their compound in Kabul on Friday afternoon and were unaccounted for since then.
Taliban claimed that their fighters captured the two US soldiers along with their weapons and communication kits in Charkh district.
The US military has around 90,000 troops in Afghanistan, with 10,000 more expected to arrive in August. Around 50,000 troops from other NATO and non-NATO countries are also based in the country.
Taliban insurgents have held another US soldier, Bowe Bergdahl, for more than one year. Bergdahl was captured in eastern Afghanistan when he left his unit in June last year. The hostage has appeared in several Taliban videos, the last one released in April.