At least 33 were dead after three days of clashes between police and protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square, amid calls by 38 opposition groups called for a million man march on Tuesday to pressure Egypt's military rulers to step aside, dpa reported.
The Dubai-based Al Arabiya television quoted sources at Cairo's main morgue saying 33 corpses had been received there since Saturday, most of them with bullet wounds.
Meanwhile, the broadcaster said the Egyptian government has put "its resignation in the hands of the military council."
The military council is currently discussing the resignation of the current government, Al Arabiya added.
The mass protest calls for sacking the current government and forming a "national salvation government" to take over from the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which has been ruling the country since February,
They also call for holding presidential elections by April 2012, restructuring the Interior Ministry, and putting all those charged with killing protesters on trial.
The protest, dubbed The Million Man Protest for National Salvation, is scheduled for 4 pm (2 GMT).
On Monday, thousands of protesters, faced down by security forces backed by military police, remained in Tahrir Square, which remained closed to traffic.
Witnesses told dpa that many people were suffering from breathing problems from tear gas used by police forces. Doctors are using an ambulance to help those injured, after security destroyed a field hospital on Sunday, which was set up by protesters near Tahrir Square.
Medics - who have been trying to set up another makeshift hospital - said they have been treating dozens of people an hour.
Throughout the day, protesters have been hurling stones and throwing tear gas canisters back at the police forces.
Clashes between protesters and security forces have been going on intermittently since Saturday, leaving 22 people dead and over 1,500 injured.
A large banner in the square read: "The people want a civilian presidential council."
Major General Said Abbas, deputy head of the central military zone, told protesters and reporters gathered near the square that, while people have the right to protest, they should not harm national interests.
Abbas added that clashes only erupt when protesters got close to the Interior Ministry, adding that unarmed forces are prepared to enter the square and protect protesters if the protesters request they do so.
Egyptian Culture Minister Emad Abu Ghazi on Monday confirmed his resignation in protest over the government's handling of the clashes.
Abu Ghazi told the Al Ahram website he "will not retract his resignation."
Since Saturday, government forces used tear gas and batons to disperse the demonstrators. Activists say rubber bullets and shotguns were also used.
The scene was reminiscent of the popular revolt in the same place against the regime of former president Hosny Mubarak.
Opposition groups have become more critical of the military rulers, who they accuse of dragging their feet on handing power over to an elected civil administration.
The violence was taking place just a week before Egyptians go to the polls to elect a new parliament. Elections are set to take place between November 28 and January 10.
In the photo - Egyptian Prime Minister Essam Sharaf