Iran calls Riyadh conference on Yemen "show-off"
Baku, Azerbaijan, May 20
By Fatih Karimov - Trend:
Iran's deputy foreign minister for Arab and African affairs, Hossein Amir Abdollahian, said holding the Riyadh Conference on Yemen was a "show-off" to reduce the pressure of global community and public opinion.
While the so-called ceasefire did not materialize in Yemen, another move dubbed the Riyadh Conference was started with the participation of some Yemeni groups, Iran's IRIB quoted Amir-Abdollahian as saying on May 20.
In my opinion, the conference will not have any positive achievement, he stressed.
Holding the conference was a hasty decision, he said, adding that it will cause a delay in the UN measures to settle the crisis.
Referring to Iran's The UN secretary general will hold a meeting with representatives of Yemeni groups in the coming days in Geneva, he noted.
Iran has offered a 4-stage plan last week to resolve the crisis in Yemen, but its proposals were rejected by Yemeni Government, saying that Iran is not in neutral position in this dispute. This 4-stage plan, starts with halting the attacks, urges philanthropic, humanization aids which are necessary considering the extreme situations in Yemen and establishing a comprehensive government with participating of all sides in power.
The Riyadh Conference which was held in order to tackle the Yemeni crisis under the slogan "Saving Yemen and Building a Federal State" ended on May 19.
The three day conference concluded by all political parties, religious and tribal representatives agreeing on a statement that supports President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and creating a joint force that will use military and political means to end the rebellious Houthi movement in Yemen.
The Houthis refused to take part in the conference, as they demanded the talks to be held in Yemen and not in any country participating in the coalition.