Tripoli announced cease-fire in Misrata and its readiness for truce
The Libyan Foreign Ministry announced a ceasefire in Misrata, thus emphasizing the Libyan authorities' willingness for a truce with the rebels, Reuters said on Monday referring to the Libyan national news agency Jana.
" The Ministry ...announced that the anti-terrorist units ceased fire against armed terrorist groups," the agency quoted a source in the Libyan Foreign Ministry as saying.
The source said safety and serenity have been restored in the city, RIA Novosti reported.
Earlier on Monday the rebels announced that the troops of Libyan leader Muammar al- Gaddafi have established control over some areas of Misrata, while the authorities stated about freeing the city from insurgents.
The public has been protesting in Libya since mid-February. They demand the resignation of Gaddafi, who has ruled the country for more than 40 years.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution on March 17 calling for the introduction of a no-fly zone over Libya and approving the possibility of foreign military operations. The operations launched on March 19.
On Sunday, NATO formally took over the command over the coalition military operations in Libya.