Last US push for Mid-East talks
US envoy George Mitchell is to hold a further meeting with Israel's prime minister in a fresh attempt to get a deal on Jewish settlements, BBC reported.
Mr Mitchell has already met Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu twice on his current, extended trip.
He is hoping to arrange talks between Mr Netanyahu and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas at the UN this month.
On Thursday, Mr Netanyahu urged world leaders to reject a UN report on the war in Gaza earlier this year.
The report concluded that Israel deliberately used "disproportionate force" in its three-week operation in Gaza in December and January.
It said both the Israeli army and Palestinian militants committed war crimes, and possibly crimes against humanity.
'Construction will continue'
Mr Mitchell has prolonged his trip to the Middle East for several days as he works for a deal on freezing Israeli settlement activity in the occupied West Bank.
The US is seeking a moratorium on settlement building that would be acceptable to the Palestinian side.
Mr Abbas - with US backing - has been demanding a complete freeze on Israeli construction activity.
Mr Netanyahu has offered a temporary freeze for several months, but not in East Jerusalem or in cases where homes have already been approved.
On Thursday he gave no indication there would be a freeze in the West Bank.
"There is a slowdown in settlement construction, but not a freeze," he said.
"There are 2,400 units being built, and their construction will continue."
On the UN report, Mr Netanyahu appealed to the international community to speak out against it, saying Israel was exercising its right to self-defence following rocket attacks against southern Israel from the Gaza Strip.
"The report encourages terrorism and undermines the natural right of states to defend themselves," he told Israeli television.
"If you support our right to self-defence, say so now."
The recommendations of the inquiry, headed by the former South African judge Richard Goldstone, included possible referral of the case to the International Criminal Court.
The report also condemned rocket attacks by Palestinian groups that Israel says sparked its offensive.