Kazakhstan, Russia to assess damage inflicted by Proton-M rocket crash
Astana, Kazakhstan, Nov. 7
By Daniar Mukhtarov - Trend:
Kazakhstan and Russia will develop a uniform methodology to assess the damage inflicted by the crash of the Proton-M carrier rocket, the governor of the Kyzyl-Orda region of Kazakhstan, Krymbek Kusherbayev said Nov. 7.
He made the remarks at a briefing held at the Central Communications Service of Kazakhstan.
The Proton-M crashed on July 2, 2013 on the territory of the Baikonur launch complex in Kazakhstan.
"Our experts have calculated the size of the damage, but we can not agree on the methodology. We, in Kazakhstan, assess the size of the damage using one method, the Russians use another one. Russia is ready to pay the damage, but needs to agree on the method of its assessment," he said.
The region's head said it is planned to hold a meeting of intergovernmental commission to agree on the assessment method.
"In late November, a meeting will be at Baikonur, where an intergovernmental agreement on environmental issues will be signed, and afterwards the problem will be solved," Kusherbayev said.
The Proton-M carrier rocket carrying three Glonass-M Russian navigation satellites crashed July 2, 2013 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome launch complex shortly after its take-off, and then exploded.
All the specialists in the launch complex's bunker were untouched by the disaster. However, the cosmodrome's staff was evacuated due to the toxic cloud formed as a result of the explosion.
The expert commission, which had been investigating the disaster, found out that the accident's cause was the abnormal operation of three of the six angular speed sensors that were installed incorrectly.
Edited by CN