Top Iran commander warns Saudi Arabia over possible military intervention in Syria
Baku, Azerbaijan, Feb. 7
By Khalid Kazimov - Trend:
An Iranian commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has warned Saudi Arabia over any possible military intervention in Syria.
"We have presented Saudi politicians with an ultimatum and they are well aware of the unpleasant consequences of intervention in Syria," Tasnim news agency quoted the deputy IRGC Commander, Brigadier General Hossein Salami, as saying.
He further said that the Syrian army and its allies have advanced in fight against terrorism forecasting further victories for government backed groups in fight against the IS terrorist group (ISIS,ISIL, Daesh).
Over the past week Saudi Arabia and Bahrain announced readiness for dispatching ground troops to Syria. Reacting to the Saudi plan Ira's IRGC chief commander Mohammad Ali Jafari said that Saudi Arabia would not dare to dispatch troops to Syria and if the kingdom goes through such a plan, it would be suicidal.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem also reacted to the Saudi announcement and said if foreign ground troops enter Syria they would "return home in wooden coffins".
A UN Security Council resolution on in December last year approved a draft resolution on peace process in Syria. According to the resolution, Syrian government and opposition groups should attend peace talks to find a solution for putting an end to the crisis.
However just a few days after launching the talks, the UN suspended peace talks suggesting that they will resume since Feb. 25. Syrian sides keep blaming each other for the collapse of the talks.
Over 250,000 people have died and at least 11 million have been displaced in Syria, since the crisis broke out in 2011.