Erdogan: no demands yet on NATO missile shield
Turkish Prime Minister on Friday said that there have been no requests made yet on deployment of a proposed NATO anti-missile system in Turkey, Anadolu Agency reported.
Erdogan said that his government has not got any offers so far.
Erdogan also ruled out any fait accompli during a planned NATO summit that will gather heads of state and government in Portugal next month.
Earlier in the day, Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said that Turkey was negotiating the proposed NATO missile defense system noting however it, by no means, should be viewed as a reservation.
Gonul denied allegations that U.S. was pushing Turkey to take a decision on the issue. He said the missile defense system which started as a national project of the U.S., was turning into a NATO project with the demand of member countries. He said they were negotiating the terms of it, and naturally parties were presenting their opinions.
"This however should not be viewed as (Turkey's) reservation, but as part of an ongoing negotiation," Gonul was quoted as saying.