At least 30 die in Turkey's street protests

Türkiye Materials 10 October 2014 09:07 (UTC +04:00)

The death toll has risen to 30 from the protest violence in Turkey that started on Wednesday Abadolu Agency reproted

Four people, including a woman, have died in random violence during the demonstratons in Turkey's southeastern Gaziantep province.

The protests stemmed from the support of the Kurdistan Workers Party combat against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant forces besieging the border town of Kobani.

Terrorist violence also killed six people in the eastern city of Bingol Thursday, including two police officers.

The policemen in Bingol were doing damage assesment from the protests when they were shot dead with long barrelled weapons. The four terrorists who killed the police were shot while being pursued by police, Bingol Governorate said in a written statement.

Bingol province Police Chief Atalay Urker, Deputy Police Chief Atif Sahin, Chief Inspector Huseyin Hatipoglu and police officer Ugur Adli were the victims of the attack.

Deputy Police Chief Sahin died on the scene, while Chief Inspector Hatipoglu died in Bingol State Hospital.

Police Chief Urker is taken to Turkish capital with an air ambulance while police officer Ugur Adli is being treated at Bingol State Hospital.

Turkish officials have said the country was against supporting PYD (an offshoot of PKK in Syria) fighters in Kobani with military and financial aid, even if they are fighting against ISIL.

The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey as well as by the U.S. and the European Union.

The nationwide protests broke out after ISIL- militants penetrated the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani, known as Ayn al-Arab, on Monday.

The protesters have used the pretext that the Turkish government has allegedly done nothing to halt the relentless advance of the militant group in the Syrian city, which has become a scene of fierce street battles between Kurdish groups and ISIL militants.

Turkish Agriculture Minister Mehdi Eker stated Thursday that 116 people had been arrested in the violence, and charges were brought against an additional 294 people who had violated the curfew.