Turkey dismisses over 20,000 servicemen
Ankara, Turkey, Nov. 17
By Atilla Caner – Trend:
Turkey has so far dismissed 20,088 people from its armed forces as part of fight against the movement of Fethullah Gulen, accused of involvement in the failed July 15 coup attempt, Defense Minister Fikri Isik said addressing the country’s parliament.
Among those dismissed are 16,423 military students, according to Isik.
On July 15 evening, Turkish authorities said a military coup attempt took place in the country. Meanwhile, a group of servicemen announced about transition of power to them. However, the rebelling servicemen started to surrender July 16 and Turkish authorities said the coup attempt failed.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said the death toll as a result of the military coup attempt stood at 246 people, excluding the coup plotters, and over 2,000 people were wounded.
He also declared a three-month state of emergency in Turkey on July 20. It was decided to prolong the state of emergency for 90 more days Oct. 3.