Baku, Azerbaijan, August 8
By Ilkin Izzet - Trend:
In the case of sabotage against the Mingachevir hydropower plant (HPP), Azerbaijan's armed forces are ready to give a rapid and adequate response, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said in its statement in response to the statement of Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan.
Ohanyan previously threatened in his statement that Armenian armed forces will commit sabotage against the Mingachevir HPP.
The ministry said in its statement that Azerbaijani armed forces are able to strike at all military facilities of the enemy located in the occupied territories and in Armenia.
"Armenian people should know that in the case of any attempts to sabotage the Mingachevir HPP, they will receive a very harsh response," the statement said.
Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry stressed that the missiles targeting Armenia are ready to carry out a command to raze even the capital of the enemy state -Yerevan.
Armenian armed forces continue sabotage attempts on the Azerbaijani-Armenian contact line.
During the recent days, Azerbaijani positions have been constantly under attack, and 13 servicemen have been killed, several more were wounded. Armenian side suffered more losses while trying to hide this fact from the public.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the U.S. are currently holding peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's four resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.
Edited by CN