...

Number of drug-related crimes reduced by 13 percent in Uzbekistan in 2009

Politics Materials 26 June 2010 15:35
The number of crimes related to illicit drugs reduced by 12.7 percent - up to 8,900 in Uzbekistan last year, the National Information-Analytical Center on Drug Control under the Uzbek Cabinet of Ministers said.
Number of drug-related crimes reduced by 13 percent in Uzbekistan in 2009

Uzbekistan, Tashkent, June 26 / Trend D. Azizov /

The number of crimes related to illicit drugs reduced by 12.7 percent - up to 8,900 in Uzbekistan last year, the National Information-Analytical Center on Drug Control under the Uzbek Cabinet of Ministers said.

Uzbek law enforcement bodies confiscated 3.488 tons of drugs (3.550 tons a year earlier), including 755 kilograms of heroin (1.472 tons), 626 kilograms of opium (1,062 tons), 1,373 tons of marijuana (810 kilograms), 48 kilograms of hashish (68 kilograms) last year.

June 26 is the International Day Against Drug.

Drugs are transported from Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan to the territory of the Republic, including the south - the Surkhandarya region, south-east - Samarkand and Syrdarya regions, north-east - the Ferghana Valley and Tashkent region. The proportion of Afghan heroin and opium imported to Uzbekistan from Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan last year was about 84 percent, the remaining 16 percent were transported directly from Afghanistan.

About 126 foreigners, including 39 citizens of Tajikistan, 26 - Afghanistan, 21 - Kyrgyzstan, 15 - Kazakhstan 12 - Russia, 6 - Turkmenistan, 3 - Iran and one citizen of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ukraine , Turkey were arrested in Uzbekistan for drug-related crimes in 2009. About 300 kilograms of drugs were seized. About 62 percent (183 kilograms) were seized from the citizens of Afghanistan.

During the operation 'Black Poppy', about 1,300 facts of cultivation of narcotic plants were revealed in the total area of 3.7 hectares.

The Uzbek judicial authorities considered 4,880 criminal cases last year (4,554 - in 2008) associated with illegal drug trafficking. The penalty is applied to 6,240 people (5,809 the previous year), including 3.379 of them - in the form of deprivation of liberty.

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), in 2009 Afghanistan produced 6,900 tons of opium. Its stock, produced earlier, is estimated at 10,000 tons.

Uzbekistan joined the UN Convention on Narcotic Drugs (1961), Psychotropic Substances (1971) and Comabt Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (1988) in February 1995. The law on drugs and psychotropic substances is in force since 2000.

Tags:
Latest

Latest