Iran, Tehran, Feb. April 21
By Milad Fashtami - Trend:
Uzbekistan's cotton transit via Iran in the current Iranian calendar year, which started on March 21, has increased by 14 percent increase.
The managing director of Iranian Railway Company, Mohsen Pourseyed Aghaie, said that the company's discounts and Uzbekistan's determination caused the increase.
"The highest rate of transit between the two countries was registered in 2012," he said.
He also expressed hope that the two countries' transit increases even more by further negotiations.
Pourseyed Aghaie made the remarks at a meeting with Uzbekistan's ambassador to Tehran.
Over 12.084 million tons of goods were transited through Iran in the previous Iranian calendar year (which ended on March 20), Iranian IRNA News Agency reported on April 12.
The amount shows 4 percent increase compared to last year.
Some 96 percent of the mentioned amount (11.59 million tons) was transited via roads and the other 4 percent (494,000 tons) by railways.
Transit of goods by roads faced 8 percent increase compared to the preceding year.
He went on to note that about 5.297 million tons of transited goods were oil products and 6.787 million tons were non-oil products.
The transited consignments are mostly consisted of fuel, construction materials, cotton, home appliances, vehicles, foodstuff and fertilizers.
According to Iran's former Deputy Roads and Urban Development Minister Shahriar Afandizadeh 106 countries transit their goods via Iran. Iraq, China, the UAE, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan usually transit the highest amounts of goods.