A Palestinian resident of the southern West Bank city of Hebron was killed early Friday during an Israeli army raid on the city to arrest Hamas members, security and medical sources said, DPA reported.
The army raided Hebron to re-arrest six Hamas members the Palestinian Authority (PA) had released only the day before after an intervention from the emir of Qatar.
Medical sources said a 65-year-old Palestinian was brought dead to hospital with several bullet wounds to the upper part of his body. They said the man had been shot in a building the soldiers had raided to arrest one of the Hamas members.
The PA had taken the six into custody in September in a campaign to arrest Hamas activists after a drive-by shooting against Israeli settlers in the area.
Hamas' military wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, took responsibility for the shooting that occurred on the eve of the start of direct Palestinian-Israeli negotiations in Washington.
The six Hamas members, all Hebron residents, were first held in a PA prison in Bethlehem, south of Hebron, but went on hunger strike, demanding to be moved to Hebron so that their families could visit them.
The PA moved only five to Hebron after about 40 days of hunger strike following coordination with Israel. The sixth remained in Bethlehem.
PA officials said Thursday that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas ordered their release after direct appeal from the emir of Qatar.