IRGC commander denies dismissal reports
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps commander, General Ali Fazli, has denied reports that he had been dismissed in the wake of Iran's post-election events, reported Press TV.
The IRGC commander said on Wednesday that the reports were all rumors adding that he is always ready to follow orders issued by the Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei.
Reports by Al-Arabiya TV and the BBC had earlier alleged that Fazli was dismissed after defying orders to calm down the post-election riots in the Iranian capital, Tehran.
"Whenever the Islamic nation achieves a victory, the global arrogance will attempt to spoil the epic," said the war veteran.
"Eight Basij members have been killed and about 300 of them have been wounded to protect the people of Tehran in the country's latest unrest," he explained.
Iran has become the scene of street rallies since the re-election of incumbent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as the victor of presidential election last week.
His main rivals Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi have rejected the result as fraudulent and demanded a re-run. Foreign saboteur under the guise of their supporters
At least 20 people have so far been killed and many others wounded in the country's latest unrest after the 10th presidential elections.