Security Forces Rescue Hostages in Southeastern Iran
The Iranian security and law enforcement forces freed several hostages after two day-long clashes in Iran's southeastern province of Sistan and Balouchestan, a senior provincial police chief announced on Saturday, FARS News reported.
Elaborating on the operation, Commander of Sistan and Balouchestan's Law Enforcement Police Gholam Ali Nekou'ee told FNA on Saturday that the police as well as forces from the Qods Headquarters of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) rapidly moved to block all the roads in the area after hostage-takers took the six people, including five soldiers and a bank employee.
"The Hostages were rescued after the group of the outlaws were trapped in an ambush of security forces," Nekou'ee added.
The commander said that one of the six hostages and a gunman had been killed in the rescue operation, adding that two more of the hostages were wounded, while the other three remained unharmed.
Armed men stopped a bus traveling from Chabahar to Zahedan in southeastern Iran and took six people hostage.
The terrorist Jundollah group has claimed responsibility for the act, but an official of the Sistan and Balouchestan Governor's Office Jalal Sayah last night rejected the claim.
Sayah also dismissed a Jundollah claim that the kidnapped soldiers were among the top air force officers, saying they were ordinary soldiers.