Baku, Azerbaijan, Dec. 23
By Umid Niayesh, Saeed Isayev - Trend:
Since the U.S. did not keep their promise after the nuclear deal in Geneva, Iran will have a more decisive position at the next nuclear talks, Iranian parliament's Foreign Policy and National Security spokesman Esmail Kowsari told Trend on Dec. 23.
Kowsari was commenting on the U.S. administration announcing on Dec. 12 an expanded list of companies and individuals that will have their trading activities around the world blocked, due to connection with Iran's nuclear program.
The U.S. and its Western allies suspect Iran of developing a nuclear weapon - something that Iran denies. The Islamic Republic has on numerous occasions stated that it does not seek to develop nuclear weapons, using nuclear energy for medical research instead.
On November 24, 2013, Iran was able to reach an agreement with Western states regarding the nuclear program. Iran has agreed to curb some nuclear activities for six months in return for sanctions relief.
Then Iran and the P5+1 held four-day expert-level talks in Geneva to discuss the implementation of the nuclear deal struck last month. The negotiations ended on Dec. 22 without any result.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi said that the latest round of technical talks have made little progress.
Kowsari said that the statements of U.S. officials indicate that the U.S. is not committed to the Geneva deal. Iranian MP also said that the U.S. statement claiming Iran agreed to the Geneva deal because of sanctions' pressure, is incorrect.
"Iran will firmly defend it's rights, and will never withdraw from them during the nuclear talks," Kowsari said.