Pakistan on Wednesday expressed its displeasure and termed the Indian leaders' statements regarding severance of ties and keeping open the military option as "most unfortunate," local newspaper The Nation reported on Thursday.
The statements emanating from responsible Indian leaders and high officials both from the political and military establishments regarding severance of trade, transport and tourist links and keeping open the military option were most unfortunate, a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Pakistan said.
Indian Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor has said that the Indian Army was ready for all options to attack Pakistan but the Indian government would take the final decision in this regard, according to The Nation, Xinhua reported.
"Pakistan continues to make every effort to defuse tensions in South Asia and has repeatedly stated that it is prepared to extend its cooperation to the Indian government concerning the Mumbai incident," said the statement.
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani on Tuesday informed the National Assembly that the information received from India had been given to the Ministry of Interior for inquiry, in accordance with the law, and that the results would be shared with the Indian government, said the statement.
"The Foreign Office Spokesman regretted that instead of responding to the constructive proposals made by the government of Pakistan concerning the Mumbai incident and Pakistan's offer of serious, substantive and pragmatic cooperation to counter terrorism in the region, India continues to ratchet up tensions, which is certainly not helpful to the cause of peace, security and stability of the region and in the overall efforts in countering terrorism," said the statement.
Instead of orchestrating a diplomatic and political campaign against Pakistan, it would be better for the two countries to work together to overcome the common challenges facing the region, the spokesman said, adding that indulging in blame game is counterproductive.