Schalke sack Magath
Schalke 04 Wednesday dismissed coach and manager Felix Magath.
The decision was taken at a supervisory board meeting at which Magath, 57, failed to appear, DPA reported.
Magath's sacking comes although Schalke are now Germany's only representative left in the Champions League following Bayern Munich's exit Tuesday evening at the hands of holders Inter Milan.
It had been widely reported over the past week that the supervisory board had intended to end Magath's contract which runs until 2013.
Magath, who had insisted he would fulfil his contract, was now leaving with immediate effect, supervisory board chairman Clemens Toennies said
"From the point of view of FC Schalke there are very good reasons for this parting. We will not communicate these publicly because judicial proceedings are now pending," he said in a statement.
Magath, who was also director for sport and communication and had all-round powers similar to those held previously in leading Wolfsburg to the title in 2009, has taken Schalke into the quarter-finals of the Champions League and final of the German Cup.
But the team is languishing in 10th place in the Bundesliga ahead of a visit Sunday to second-placed Bayer Leverkusen.
Magath had alienated Toennies and a section of the fans - although he had the support of others - who had criticised his transfer dealings and an alleged dictatorial style.
Schalke have appointed Horst Heldt director for sport and communication, while the role of finance, marketing and administration falls to Peter Peters.