Turkey was informed about attack on consulate in Mosul

Photo: Turkey was informed about attack on consulate in Mosul
 / Politics

Baku, Azerbaijan, June 13

By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:

Turkey was informed about the attack on its consulate in Iraqi city of Mosul, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said, Turkish TRT Haber TV channel reported on June 13.

He said Ankara, given the real situation, recommended the consulate employees not to resist.

"Only in Turkish films 40 characters are killed by 1,000 militants. In life it is impossible," Arinc added.

He went on to add that there is no threat to the life of Turkish citizens in Iraq.

Arinc said that currently there are 125,000 Turkish citizens in Iraq.

He noted that in case of serious danger, Turkey can evacuate its nationals from Iraq.

Ankara is closely following the developments in Iraq, according to Arinc.

On Wednesday, the representatives of the Turkish consulate in Mosul failed to leave the city, which is currently controled by militants.

Afterwards, the Turkish government announced that the consulate was attacked, and that some 48 representatives of the diplomatic mission are held hostage by the militants of the terrorist groups.

On June 12, all the employees of the diplomatic mission were freed

As previously reported, the militants of the terrorist organization known as the 'Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant' (ISIL) took the control of Mosul, the second most populous city of Iraq.

The situation in northern Iraq sharply escalated last week, as nearly 60 people were killed as a result of numerous clashes between the Iraqi security forces and militants near Mosul.

ISIL had control of the western part of Mosul when it attacked and captured the governor's residence building on June 9.

Additionally, it was reported that the ISIL militants, who previously captured the cities of Mosul and Tikrit, also plan to seize Baghdad, the capital of Iraq.

Edited by CN

Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency