UN's accusing Hezbollah not lead to new Lebanese-Israeli war
Azerbaijan, Baku, July 25 / Trend , U.Sadikhova/
The UN Security Council's accusing Hezbollah party of violating armistice in the southern Lebanon and Israel's demands to strengthen international contingent will not lead to a new regional war, despite local Lebanese people's protests against UN peacekeepers' actions.
For the first time after the end of the second Lebanon war in 2006, the UN Security Council on Thursday accused the Lebanese Hezbollah party of violating the ceasefire in the southern Lebanon, the Israeli Ha'aretz newspaper reported.
The UN Deputy Secretary General, responsible for the UN peacekeeping operations, Alain Le Roy said that Hezbollah has allowed the transport of arms to the south of Lebanon, which led to a powerful explosion at a military depot last week.
Israel which left the southern Lebanese territory 9 years ago accused the UN United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) of insufficient control over the territory, which led to Hezbollah's forming new cells and military depots.
Le Roy said Hezbollah recruited the local population in the southern Lebanon and uses houses of civilians as military depots.
However, the UN announced an inquiry regarding whether the warehouse is located in the southern Lebanon before adopting the resolution 1701, ensuring armistice, or after.
The representative of Hezbollah said on Wednesday that the explosion occurred at an old military warehouse, but the UN peacekeeping force called the explosion in the south Lebanon as violating the ceasefire, Ha'aretz reported.
According to the UN Security Council resolution 1701, which was adopted by Israel and Hezbollah, all the military groups in the southern Lebanon must be disarmed.
Despite the violations of the armistice on the Israeli-Lebanese border, experts rule out beginning of the third Lebanon war.
During the last three years since war in Lebanon in summer 2006, the border between Israel and Lebanon is absolutely or more absolutely quite. It is absolutely quite and it has not been before during the last 20-25 years, the Deputy Director of the Institute of National Security Studies, Ephraim Kam said.
"I am not sure that we are going to see a new war between Israel and Hezbollah," leading Israeli Analyst on Security Studies, Kam told Trend in a telephone conversation. "The problem occurred due to the explosion which took place a week ago and obstacles in holding an investigation which will reveal violation [of Hezbollah] the resolution ".
Although Israel withdrew its troops from the southern Lebanon and does not have the right to deploy military forces, it can cooperate with the UNIFIL peacekeepers in intelligence, Kam said.
"UNIFIL is not organized enough to do everything, in order to prevent Hizbollah to reconstruct its capabilities [in the southern Lebanon]," Kam believes. "However, Israel cannot do the job for UNIFIL, but it can do is to provide the UNIFIL with intelligence about arsenal of weapons by giving them information in order to help them."
The Lebanese government has criticized Israel's demands for UN to strengthen a control over the south of the country. The Speaker of the Lebanese Parliament, Nabih Berri accused Israel of stirring up a confrontation between the civilians of the south and UN peacekeepers, Mehr news agency reported with the reference to the Lebanese sources.
Last week, a clash between the local civilians and UN peacekeepers injured 14 soldiers. The clashes were caused by UNIFIL's attempts to search civilians' houses, where Hezbollah's or other military groupings' military depots may be located.
Berri said Israel seeks to use these clashes to return a military control over the south of Lebanon.
Despite the armistice with Hezbollah, Israel repeatedly stated the Lebanese party holding a military resistance in the region rearms and the UN troops assist them in it.
Within three years after the war, Hezbollah which uses Iran's military and material support doubled its arsenal compared to its volume before the war, the Israeli media reported.
Israeli Analyst, Colonel of the Israeli Army, Kam also believes Hezbollah increases its military arsenal from 13,000 rockets to 40,000.
"Hezbollah want to penetrate the south Lebanon and build their military capability there," Kam said.
Commenting on Hezbollah's participation in a new Lebanese government, Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu said the government in Beirut will be responsible for Hezbollah's each step, if a ceasefire is violated on the border with Israel.
However, Beirut also rules out beginning of a new war in the region due to the UN's accusations against the Lebanese party.
A problem with the UN troops in the south Lebanon due to explosion of a military depot and clash with civilians was caused by dissatisfaction with the latest search in their homes, but the situation will not develop further, Professor of the Lebanese University Talal Atrisi believes.
"This problem aroused, because it [UNIFIL] faced local civilians' discontent," Atrisi told Trend in a telephone conversation from Beirut. "But the problem will not lead to a new military operation."
Atrisi rules out emergence of military tensions in the region.
Israel also believes Hezbollah is not interested in a new war due to the blow on military and material support after a political crisis in Iran.
From a political point of view, Hezbollah faced two problems, Kam believes: one it did not win the election to parliament in Lebanon and secondly, internal political crisis in Iran affects significantly on the position of Hezbollah which is one of close allies of Tehran in the Middle East.
During the presidential elections in Iran on June 12, the current President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gained 62.63 percent of votes and the ruling party experienced internal split. Head of the Iran's Experts Council Ayatollah Rafsanjani has criticized Ahmadinejad's government and supported Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi which stated that the results of the election were falsified. The governmental split led to mass demonstrations in the country which killed 20 people. As a result, mass arrests were carried out.