Azerbaijan, Baku, May 29 /Trend/
Iranian Education Movement Chairman Ali Bagirzade said despite the 32-year fight against illiteracy, 2.6 million people still can not read or write in Iran, MEHR reported.
Bagirzade said some 85 percent of the population is educated and all efforts aimed at to educate the rest 15 percent.
"We try to use the services of the private sector to strengthen the Iranian education system," he added. He said mostly illiterate population aged 10 to 49 years. "The five-year development plan is focused on necessary measures to eliminate the illiteracy," Bagirzade said.
Earlier, the movement stated that around one million people in the country are deprived of education annually. Deputy Chairman of the movement Ali Ibrahimian said the country has 14.2 million illiterate people, most of them were women.
After the Islamic revolution in Iran, the Education Movement was founded upon former Supreme Leader Imam Khomeini's task in 1979.