The Health Ministry of Azerbaijan, Oktay Shiraliyev, met with the Mexican Health Minister, a candidate for the post of the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Julio Frenk, Trend reports with reference to the statement of the Health Ministry of Azerbaijan.
The Vice President of the WHO Executive Committee, Oktay Shiraliyev, mentioned the co-operation of Azerbaijan with the organization and the assistance in its fight against bird flu.
The Mexican Minister presented his autobiographical book to Shiraliyev, which covers Frenk's professional activities and future plans.
The election of the WHO Director-General will take place in Geneva on 6-9 November 2006.
On 6-8 November, the WHO Executive Committee will come together at the WHO Headquarters to submit the applications for the post of WHO Director-General.
The list of persons proposed by the WHO member-countries to be nominated by the Executive Committee for the post of WHO Director-General is as follows:
1. Dr Kazem Behbehani (proposed by Kuwait)
2. Dr Margaret Chan (proposed by China)
3. Dr Julio Frenk (proposed by Mexico)
4. Mr David A. Gunnarsson (proposed by Iceland)
5. Dr Nay Htun (proposed by Myanmar)
6. Dr Karam Karam (proposed by Syrian Arab Republic)
7. Dr Bernard Kouchner (proposed by France)
8. Dr Pascoal Manuel Mocumbi (proposed by Mozambique)
9. Dr Shigeru Omi (proposed by Japan)
10. Dr Alfredo Palacio GonzГЎlez (proposed by Ecuador)
11. Professor Pekka Puska (proposed by Finland)
12. Ms Elena Salgado MГ©ndez (proposed by Spain)
13. Professor Dr Tomris TГјrmen (proposed by Turkey)