Iran exports 8,000 tons of pistachio in 2 months
Baku, Azerbaijan, Dec. 22
By Elnur Baghishov - Trend:
In the seventh and eighth months of the current Iranian year (started March 21), Iran exported 8,000 tons of pistachio to various countries, Board Chairman of the Iran Pistachio Association Seyed Mahmood Abtahi said, Trend reports via Iranian media.
Abtahi noted that in the current year, climate change and a number of other reasons caused damage to pistachio trees and the harvest significantly decreased. He added that last Iranian year, the country exported 48,000 tons of pistachio to Oman, Kuwait, China, Vietnam, Iraq and many other countries.
When it comes to the pistachio output, there is a pattern - one year harvest abounds, but in the next decreases, Abtahi said, adding that this year, besides being a decrease year, was affected by the climate change. So, this year Iran harvested 50,000-60,000 tons of pistachio, he said.
"On average, 80 percent of the pistachio output is exported and the rest 20 percent consumed within the country. The product should be exported every year. On the one hand production exceeds the local demand, and on the other hand, we should maintain the exports, otherwise, rivals will replace Iran in the global market," Abtahi said.
Iran's pistachio orchards cover an area of 400,000 hectares and employ over 500,000 Iranians.