Iran’s leader: Attempts to postpone presidential election failed
Azerbaijan, Baku, May.6/ Trend R.Zamanov
During the past years, many tried to postpone or undermine Iran's presidential election but their attempts have failed so far, and God willing they'll never succeed, the Leader of Iran's Islamic Revolution said on Monday.
The western media are trying to discourage Iranian nation, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said, the Mehr News Agency reported.
Iran's leader also said that paying attention to the presidential election should not lead in not paying enough attention to the country's City and Village Councils elections.
Ayatollah Khamenei made the remarks during a meeting with Iranian officials in charge of holding the June 14 elections.
Official registration of candidates for Iran's upcoming presidential elections will start on May 7, and will last until May 11.
From May 12-16, Iran's Guardian Council will look into the each candidate, and determine whether a candidate is eligible for participating.
If a candidate, for some reason is not eligible for participating in the elections according to the Guardian Council, then from May 17-21, that candidate will have time to protest the decision.
Iran's Interior Ministry will unveil the names of the candidates which are competitive enough to participate in the elections on May 22-23.
After the candidates have been determined, the pre-election campaigns would begin on May 24, and end on June 12.
Up until today over 25 politicians have expressed their willingness to participate at the upcoming country's elections.
Khamenei also called for the continued condemnation of the desecration of the shrine of a close companion of Prophet Mohammad and a revered Shia figure by militant groups in Syria.
He said that such incidents are aimed at fanning the flames of hostility between Shia and Sunni Muslims.
Ayatollah Khamenei hailed the Shia community for its response to the incident, saying they showed that they're not deceived by the enemy plots. He also praised the Sunni brothers who condemned the incident.
Iran's leader warned that such sacrilegious acts could spread, if Muslim scholars and political figures fail to condemn them.
The al-Nusrah group has claimed responsibility for the destruction of the shrine of Hujr bin Adi and the exhumation of his remains in Syria.